10 Common Skincare Questions Answered
The Jojoba Company is here to answer your burning skincare questions!
We are all about helping you get the best skin possible, so you can feel confident every day.
If you’ve ever wondered ‘how many facial oils should I use?’ or ‘how often should I exfoliate?’ then this blog is for you!
In what order do I apply my skincare products?
We recommend you apply your skincare by consistency, from thinnest to thickest. When it comes to layering serums, we suggest layering them from most active to least active (actives are the science-backed ingredients, like retinol and niacinamide, commonly found in serums). Below we break down a basic skincare routine:
- First, you want to begin by using a gentle cleanser in the shower. For a light buff/exfoliation, we suggest trying our Jojoba Bead Cleanser. If you have more sensitive skin or mature skin, try our Citrus Gel Cleanser or Activating Cleansing Oil to provide your skin with extra nourishment.
- Once your skin is clean, you can follow with a toner. Our Water Toning Mist provides an easy alternative - just spritz it on clean skin and wait for it to dry (it doubles as a refreshing face mist too!)
- Next, it's time to apply a facial serum. Our natural facial serums can provide a wide range of benefits. To help with signs of ageing, we recommend trying our Ultimate Serum and Transformative Eye Serum for the undereyes. If you have younger skin or deal with redness/irritation, we suggest using our Jojoba Probiotic Milk serum, which helps to rebalance the skin microbiome and calm skin.
- Once your serum dries, you can start to apply your thicker skincare products. We recommend applying a natural facial oil next to nourish the skin. For all skin types, our fragrance-free, natural Australian Jojoba works great to keep the skin calm and soothed. However, if you want to target more specific skin concerns, we also have other Jojoba-based oils, like our Pigmentation Oil, Jojoba and Rosehip Oil, Skin Balancing Oil and Ultimate Youth Potion. (Tip: if you’re after extra glowy skin, apply our Jojoba Glow to face or body to not only nourish the skin, but to enjoy a natural shine!) Once you've applied your facial oil, you'll want to let it properly soak in before you finish off your skincare routine with a moisturiser.
- If it's daytime, you might want to finish with a moisturiser/day cream. If it's nighttime, then a night cream would be best, as they help to deeply nourish and repair the skin while you sleep. We have a range of moisturisers, so you can choose what will suit your individual needs. For a thicker application and extra protection, you’ll like our Multi Defence SPF15 Moisturiser, otherwise, our Ultimate Day Cream, Daily Light Moisturiser and Hydrating Peptide Day Cream are all light creams you will enjoy. Using a moisturiser last will help to lock in all the products so your skin can 'drink' them, carrying them deeper into the skin. Moisturisers will also help create a barrier to help prevent moisture loss.
What is Double Cleansing?
Is it necessary?
Double cleansing is when an oil/balm cleanser is applied to dry skin first to dissolve SPF, makeup and oil, then is followed with a cream or gel cleanser to deep clean the skin and remove any leftover oil residue.
While it is not necessary, double cleansing is an effective method to ensure skin is completely clean and free from anything that can clog pores. It also ensures your skin is better prepared for the rest of your skincare regimen. We recommend applying our Activating Cleansing Oil to dry skin, activating it with water, then cleansing again in the shower.
Skincare products will penetrate clean skin much better, so making sure the skin is totally clean before going in with products will enhance your skincare benefits.
How many facial oils can I use at one time?
We recommend only using one facial oil at a time, however, it is perfectly fine to alternate oils between morning and evening to get multiple benefits from different oils. For example, you may like to use our Pigmentation Oil in your morning routine, then Australian Jojoba in your nighttime routine.
For everyday use, we suggest our Australian Jojoba. If you want to target specific concerns, try our Pigmentation Oil for pigmentation and Jojoba and Rosehip Oil for redness and dry skin. For uneven skin tone, try our Skin Balancing Oil. For anti-ageing benefits, try our signature Ultimate Youth Potion or for sensitive skin, try our Calming jojoba.
We've chosen to use our natural Australian Jojoba as a base for all our natural facial oils, taking advantage of Jojoba's soothing properties to ensure you receive maximum benefit.
Why do you recommend applying your facial oils to damp skin?
Our skin is more receptive to products when it is damp, absorbing products 10 times better than on dry skin. To get maximum benefits from your skincare products, it’s best to apply skincare products shortly after your morning or nightly shower, straight onto damp skin.
(Pro tip – Spritz a little of our Jojoba Water Toning Mist onto the skin before applying your facial oil).
How often should I exfoliate?
Most people with normal skin can exfoliate 2-3 times a week, however if you deal with sensitive or dry skin, you might want to exfoliate only once a week.
Your skin goes through its own natural exfoliation process, but as we age our skin’s ability to shed dead skin cells slows down and no longer does a sufficient job on its own. This means your skin may need a little more exfoliation as you reach 30+.
Remember not to over-exfoliate - we don’t want to impair our natural skin barrier! Using a natural exfoliator - like our Jojoba Bean Exfoliator, which is made from milled jojoba beans - is a great way to slough off dead skin and maintain moisture. For the face, we suggest the Jojoba Bead Cleanser as it provides a more gentle buff.
My skin is breaking out! What do I do?
If your skin is breaking out and going through a crisis, strip your skincare routine back to basics.
A gentle natural cleanser like our Australian Jojoba-based Citrus Gel Cleanser will soothe and calm your skin, as well as decongest and unclog pores. Follow this up with a gentle, natural moisturiser like our Daily Light Moisturiser. Whatever you do, avoid picking or further irritating the skin.
Once your skin has reset, you can slowly start to reintroduce your usual skincare products. Another great tip is to apply our Multi Defence Moisturiser SPF15 on areas that are breaking out. The zinc and Ectoin components in this natural facial moisturiser will help to calm the skin and minimise breakouts. You can use it as a mask overnight, or all over the face during the day. The key is to go simple and soothe the skin until it is ready for more products.
What is the difference between a Day Cream and a Night Cream? Do I really need both?
You may think that having a separate day cream and night cream sounds like overkill, but your skin needs different treatments depending on the time of day.
Day creams, like our Ultimate Day Cream and Hydrating Peptide Day Cream, are lighter in consistency, packed with antioxidants to protect the skin throughout the day, prevent moisture loss and shield from pollution.
On the other hand, night creams, like our Ultimate Night Cream and Overnight Renewal Cream, have a heavier, richer consistency to repair and nourish the skin while you sleep.
At what age do you recommend switching to an anti-aging skincare regimen?
Prevention is always better than cure, so it is never too early to start an anti-ageing routine!
Depending on your skin needs and whether you're seeing signs of ageing yet, it's safe to start anti-ageing skincare from around the age of 25. Before 25, it is recommended to still have a good skincare routine, however it’s okay for the products to be more simple.
A lot of people aged 25+ love using our Age-Defying Range not only for anti-ageing, but for its other great benefits for the skin, including increasing collagen production, increasing elasticity and deeply hydrating the skin.
What exactly is Hyaluronic Acid?
Our body naturally produces hyaluronic acid (HA), but as we age, the production of this slowly diminishes. Hyaluronic acid, which holds 1000 times its weight in water, is responsible for keeping the skin hydrated and plump.
There are 2 weights of hyaluronic acid, high weight and low weight. Low weight hyaluronic acid hydrates the skin deep below the surface, while low weight hydrates the top layer of the skin. It works as a humectant, meaning it draws moisture from the air into the skin.
It is important to only give your skin the right amount of HA, as too much can have the opposite effect and dry out the skin. Try to avoid high percentages of HA, and instead choose a well-formulated product so you get just the right amount you need for your skin.
Products we make that include HA in their formula include our Overnight Renewal Cream, Ultimate Serum, Hydrating Peptide Day Cream and Ultimate Night Cream.
I have oily skin – should I really be using face oils and moisturisers?
Yes! Jojoba is a powerful natural ingredient that helps balance and regulate oil production. Jojoba is not an oil, but a liquid wax ester that is the closest botanical match to our skin’s own natural oil - therefore, it works with the skin to balance out the oil production.
Very often, oily skin is a result of dehydration and so the skin produces extra oil to compensate. Therefore, it is important to keep oily skin hydrated and balanced. It is also important to use a light moisturiser to provide water-based hydration and an extra moisture barrier for the skin. All of our natural facial oils are Jojoba based, so they can all regulate your natural oil production.
Shop Natural Skincare at The Jojoba Company
Start your journey to healthy, radiant skin with The Jojoba Company’s natural skincare products today!
If you have more questions, check out our blog for helpful tips and articles. You might like to find out more about the 100 Reasons Why We Love Jojoba and Our Promise to create ethical, sustainable and natural skincare products.
No matter your skin type or skin goals, trust nature and try The Jojoba Company today!